Here is some old but good wisdom:
Friends don’t let friends skip leg day
I am your friend and I am going to give you a bucket load of reasons not to skip leg day:
- Leg muscles are big muscles which means more lean muscle mass quicker
- It takes a lot of calories building and maintaining those big muscles
- More muscle mass means a faster metabolism
- More muscle mass results in improved hormone function
- Strong leg muscles protect us from knee, ankle and hip injuries
- Strong legs look good. Really good!
Here is some new but good wisdom:
Your body is the only equipment you need to develop strong legs
The truth is that using machines for muscle development is not only less effective but actually sets us up for injury.
- We aren’t designed to use muscles in isolation
- Gym machines put us in a motion and position that is unnatural.
- The best way to build muscle is to use multiple joint exercises like lunges and FitMania style squats.
- As you get stronger you can increase the intensity of squats and lunges by increasing speed or jumping the exercise.
IMPORTANT! You must use good form or you can injure yourself. Watch these videos and then watch your form in a mirror or ask a FitMania trainer to check your form.
INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS: (click to view)
by Sherry Stirling Fernandez