When you hear the word affirmations what do you think about? Often I imagine someone standing in front of the mirror saying something like, “You are one awesome human being and, by darn it, people like you!” The problem with this approach to affirmations is that it is a short road to complacency and maybe even delusions. It may help with contentment but doesn’t allow for progress. Consider this formula for happiness:
CONTENTMENT + PROGRESS = HAPPINESS
In FitMania’s Personal Development Coaching program one of the tools we teach is the effective use of affirmations. Affirmations are a way to progress and accomplish something in life that doesn’t work in traditional goal setting and tracking. Perhaps you want to be a better listener, be more cheerful or have a more positive attitude. How would you set measurable goals in those areas? This is where written, daily affirmations are so effective. They are also an excellent way to break a plateau in an any area where you feel want to make something happen and don’t see a way to make it happen. Try the following approach without missing a day for 60 days and I promise you will be hooked! It is the closest thing I have found to a “magic pill”
- Get a spiral notebook and WRITE your 5-10 most important goals EVERYDAY. Never miss a day!
- Find wording that inspires you.
- Once you have refined them and made the verbiage as powerful as you can write them from MEMORY. (After the first few weeks this process will take you 1 – 2 minutes).
- Write your goals as if you have already accomplished them. “I have excellent posture” or “I am a good listener” are examples of some I write.
- Always write them in the positive. Write “I am financially independent” rather than “I am debt free”.
- You may have no idea how each goal will be accomplished but write them anyway. These are often the ones where the magic happens.
As you try this program miracles will happen in your life. Often it will be because you have kept focused on your goal and other times it will seem as if supernatural forces are at work.
The success I have found with this program has been incredible! My personal growth accelerated in every area of my life. Sometimes uncanny, almost magical, things have happened.
Unfortunately, many people are content in mediocrity or just won’t pay the price. Don’t let that be you! There is excitement and success in abundance in the world if you reach for it.
I feel so strongly about this practice and the way it changes lives that I am willing to be available if you have questions. Contact me at [email protected] or call our office 208 345-2377
BONUS THOUGHT: Consistency is key to personal growth. A great workout here and there is good but a consistent workout program will change you. Taking a vitamin here and there is good but will not do for you what consistent vitamins will do. A prayer here and there is good but consistent prayer is a relationship. A hit-and-miss approach to important things leads to mediocrity. Be CONTENT add PROGRESS and find HAPPINESS.
by Sherry Stirling Fernandez