There are no new fundamentals. You’ve got to be a little suspicious of someone who says, “I’ve got a new fundamental.” – Jim Rohn
My husband owns a constructions supply business. Because they deliver supplies to their customers as well as transport product among their six locations they have a large number of trucks. Some of these trucks use gas for fuel and some use diesel. Once in a while a driver will accidentally put gasoline in a truck with a diesel engine. That truck will immediately begin to run poorly, then breakdown and it will need to be repaired.
We live in a society where people use all kinds of “foods” for fuel but a lot of it is fuel we are not intended to use. When we eat things we were not designed to eat the result is physical and mental illness, weight gain and a general lack of energy. Generally we think of fast food or sugar laden foods as “processed” but a lot of the products that are promoted as health food or weight loss foods are also extremely processed.
A FEW RULES TO GETTING THE RIGHT FUEL
- Eat only food that has a parent or grows from the ground. If you do not recognize every ingredient as a real and whole food neither will your body.
- Eat vegetables, fruits, meats, nuts, eggs and dairy. Humans have been eating these things for thousands of years.
- Before you reach for that cupcake, energy bar or weight loss product ask yourself if you have ever seen one of those hanging from a tree or plant.
- Plant based food should typically look like it did while it was alive or at least recognized as such.
- Meats and animal products should be simple and easy to recognize.
- Sugar is your worst enemy and it is extremely addictive. Refined sugar that is added to food is easily the leading cause of obesity, and contributes to heart disease, cancer, high cholesterol, arthritis, auto immune diseases and low energy. It also contributes to anxiety and depression.
- We can have sweet without refined sugar. Sugar that occurs naturally in food is great.
- Fruit is the food group that requires the least amount of processing and is often naturally portion controlled. A normal sized apple, banana or orange is the perfect amount.
- Artificial sweeteners can cause weight gain, metabolic syndrome and a host of other medical concerns. Perhaps the biggest problem with artificial sweeteners is that they perpetuate our addiction to “sweet”.
A FEW ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS
- Mankind has been eating meat since the Ark hit Mount Ararat. Meat in proper portions is part of a natural and healthy diet. Avoid meats that are cured with nitrites, nitrates, sugar, and other chemicals.
- Grains take a lot of processing before we can consume them and many people find that grains cause bloating, digestion problems, inflammation, and have even been liked to depression. Grains are usually lower in nutrition than other carbohydrates like fruit. However for people who need more calories grains are helpful, if they don’t cause any other health concerns.
- Always read your labels or eat food that doesn’t need a label.
FOOD IS THE SOLUTION NOT THE PROBLEM
Cleanses have become quite trendy but remember the truck. The procedure to repair a diesel truck that has been filled with gas is to flush the fuel system with clean diesel. It is literally repaired with the fuel it was designed to use. The solution to many of our physical, mental and emotional problems can be improved or cured by filling ourselves with the nutrient dense fuel we were designed to eat.
By Sherry Stirling Fernandez